Chimay, brewed at the Notre-Dame de Scourmont Abbey, is one of the 6 Belgian beers that can carry the logo, "Authentic Trappist Product".
Authentic Trappist beers
Chimay is an authentic Trappist beer. That means that it is brewed within the walls of a Trappist monastery under the control and responsibility of the community of monks, and whose revenue is devoted to social service.
The “Authentic Trappist Product" logo is granted by the International Trappist Association.
It guarantees the consumer the Trappist origin of the products according to well-established principles:
- They are manufactured on-site or in close proximity to the monastery.
- The monastic community is engaged in management and all aspects of the means necessary for their operation. This must clearly reflect both the unquestionably subordinate relationship with the beneficiary monastery and the relationship with the culture of the enterprise itself in the plan of monastic life.
- The income provides for the major portion of the necessities of the community and for social services.
The International Trappist Association
The International Trappist Association brings together the monasteries of the Order of Cistercians of the Strict Observance ("Trappists") who commercialize their products.
Here are the four goals of the Association:
- It supports its monasteries by protecting the designation "Trappist" and their common economic interests.
- It exercises oversight regarding reference to the religious order and distributes correct information.
- The member monasteries cooperate on the meaning of their work, and work together when new conditions are imposed.
- They attend to the development of a solidarity network with other monastic associations on an international level.